Post-Appointment Hair Care Tips for Gorgeous, long-lasting color! ♥
Your hair care routine can affect how long your hair color stays fresh, shiny and vibrant. Here are the top tips from Warren Tricomi colorists to keep you feeling fabulous after your color appointment:
1. Wait at least 2 days before shampooing.
When you color your hair, wait at least 48 hours to shampoo, preferably longer. If you can go three or four days before shampooing, even better. This will give the color plenty of time to set.
2. Use sulfate-free shampoo and conditioner.
Sulfates can strip color from hair, so look for a sulfate-free shampoo. Sulfates contain salt, which strip away moisture, and moisture loss is one of the main causes of color fading.
3. Wash hair less often.
The more you wash your hair, the dryer and more faded it will become. Limit shampooing to 2 times per week, or every other day if the scalp is oilier. To avoid losing volume, utilize a conditioning dry shampoo between washes.
4. Avoid hot water.
When you shampoo, stick to lukewarm or cooler water temperatures. Super-hot water hot water will lift the outer layer of hair color and cause color to fade. Cold or lukewarm water will help seal up the cuticle and lock in your fresh color.
5. Deep condition.
Hair color can make hair more porous, which causes it to absorb and release moisture more easily. This can cause loss of color molecules every time your hair gets wet. Use a deep conditioning treatment or book a professional treatment at the salon to keep as much moisture in your hair as possible, by maintaining the best possible condition.
6. Use leave-in treatments when styling.Using a leave-in conditioning treatment can help detangle your hair and protect it from heat tools, the elements and other damaging forces. Look for leave-in conditioners that are specially formulated to protect color-treated hair. This is particularly important if you frequently use blow dryers, curling or straightening irons or if you spend a lot of time near a heater or in the sun.
7. Keep up with trims.
Dead ends won’t hold color and will fade even faster, so make sure you are cutting off those dead ends every 6-8 weeks so your color looks fresh from root to tip.
To add a haircut to your next color service, you may book online to earn 250 loyalty points.
8. Use heat protectant spray before using hot tools.
If you use blow dryers and irons on your hair, make sure that the hair is completely dry before using heat so it won’t cook from the inside out. Prepare the hair with a fortifying leave-in conditioner and a heat-protecting hairspray.
9. Prepare your hair for next color process.
Book a clarifying pre-treatment a week before your next color appointment at the hair salon. This will strip your hair of any oils that could block your color from penetrating the cuticle at a deeper level.
There you have it! We hope these tips help you on your journey to achieving and maintaining healthy, gorgeous hair.